A Dream within
A Dream (published
in the March 31, 1849)
By Edgar Allan Poe, 1809 –
1849
Take
this kiss upon the brow!
And,
in parting from you now,
Thus
much let me avow
You
are not wrong, who deem
That
my days have been a dream;
Yet
if hope has flown away
In
a night, or in a day,
In
a vision, or in none,
Is
it therefore the less gone?
All
that we see or seem
Is
but a dream within a dream.
I
stand amid the roar
Of
a surf-tormented shore,
And
I hold within my hand
Grains
of the golden sand--
How
few! yet how they creep
Through
my fingers to the deep,
While
I weep--while I weep!
God!
can I not grasp
Them
with a tighter clasp?
God!
can I not save
One
from the pitiless wave?
Is
all that we see or seem
But
a dream within a dream?
Analysis:
This poem is about the
man who is parting with someone that he really loves and need. He doesn’t
believe that was happen and he thinks that was a dream. This poem question the
way one can differentiate between fantasy and reality.
·
Line: Twenty four lines
·
Stanza:
Two stanza
·
Rhyme:
The
rhyme of the first stanza is AAABBCCDDEE
The
second stanza is AABBCCCDDEEFF
·
Internal rhymes:
Is
but a dream within a dream (line 11)
But
a dream within a dream (line 24)
·
Type of poem:
Lyrical poem, the characteristics of lyrical
poem also exist in this poem.
·
Imagery:
And
I hold within my hand Grains of the golden sand (line 14-15)
·
Refrain:
We
see or seem (line 10 and line 23)
A
dream within a dream (line 11 and line 24)
·
Alliteration:
We
see or seem (line 10 and line 23)
A
dream within a dream (line 11 and line 24)
Grains of the golden sand (line 15)
·
Metaphor:
A
surf-tormented shore (line 13)
One
from the pitiless wave? (Line 22)
·
Tone:
Sad
·
Personification:
How few! Yet how they creep (line 16)
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar